Greeley County Health Services
Job Title: Acute Care RN
Department: Acute Care
Summary Provides general nursing care to patients in hospital or nursing home by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Explains procedures and treatments to patient to gain cooperation, understanding, and allay apprehension.
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques through different routes of administration.
- Prepares equipment and aids Physician during treatment and examination of patient.
- Maintains awareness of comfort and safety needs of patient.
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies supervisor or Physician of patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, respirations, weight and height to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient.
- Responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards, policies, procedures, and protocol.
- Ambulates and exercises patients with safety belts as directed, repositions patients and assists patients in and out of chairs, wheelchairs, etc.
- Documents nursing assessments for assigned patients.
- Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment, and supplies for surgery or emergency room.
- Educate patients according to their ADLs and medication needs.
- Oversees post op patients to ensure they are properly and adequately observed and attended to.
- Calculates, mixes and administers medications properly.
- Makes beds, bathes, feeds patients and answers call lights.
- Participates in department or unit quality improvement activities.
- Correctly labels specimens and administers oxygen.
- Properly charts all patient cares and vitals, etc. during E, OPO, Acute, And SBS visits.
- Takes verbal and written orders from providers and implements necessary care protocols.
- Explains care methods to patients and tends to patient and family members’ needs including physical, educational emotional, spiritual, etc.)
- Oversees the floor in charge nurse capacity.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises two employees in the Acute Care and ER unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Associates degree in Nursing from a two-year nursing program or Bachelor’s degree (B.S.N.) from a four-year college or university.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Human Resource systems; Internet software and Word Processing software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Active License with Kansas State Board of Nursing, with BLS, ACLS, and PALS certification preferred or will attain within first year of employment. Current driver’s license.
Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to speak Spanish, experience in Geriatric and ER preferred.
Must be able to work 12 hour shifts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; taste; and smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 or 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
GCHS is an equal opportunity employer offering newly increased wages, full benefits, and flexible hours.
Job Type: Full-time