As a full-time Truck Driver with Ellis County you will assist the Public Works team in maintaining and improving the quality and safety of transportation on county roads and bridges.
Under the supervision of the Road Foreman, the Truck Driver hauls material to the job site for repair and construction of roads within Ellis County. In addition to safely and efficiently operating vehicles, the Truck Driver performs routine manual work in the operation of light and heavy equipment for loading and transporting materials.
Essential Job Functions:
- Operates equipment such as a tandem truck or loader in the transportation of materials;
- Performs routine vehicle maintenance;
- Operates tractors, mowers, and other related vehicles;
- Mows grass, hauls soil, sand, road, gravel, and asphalt;
- Loads materials and performs work-related manual tasks as required;
- Spreads granular surfacing on county roads and bridges; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
- A high school diploma or GED, Class B CDL with tanker endorsement, and one year truck driving experience is required.
- Special Requirements: The successful applicant will also be required to participate in the FHWA (CDL) drug-testing program.
- Regular attendance is required. The schedule is Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm and during the summer months between Memorial Day and Labor day the schedule is Monday – Thursday 7:00 am – 5:30 pm.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment. Careers in local government allow you to impact your community in a BIG way!
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-life insurance, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
How to Apply: Ellis County is an EOE. View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application online. Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601
About Ellis County
"Ellis County: Let us serve you." As Ellis County employees, we provide a variety of public services to our community. The home of over 28,000 residents with a retail trade area of over 75,000, Ellis County features an economic blend of higher education, manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, oil production, tourism, and is a retail hub for Northwest Kansas. Ellis County is located on I-70 roughly halfway between Kansas City and Denver.
Find your fit in one of our many departments: Administration, Appraiser, Attorney, Building and Grounds, Clerk, EMS, Environmental, Fire/Emergency Management, Health, Information Technology, Landfill, Noxious Weed, Public Works, Register of Deeds, Sheriff, and Treasury!