Human Resources Coordinator Job Summary:
The Human Resources Coordinator is responsible for the major areas of employee recruitment, selection, and retention through employee relations, compensation, professional development, and benefits. This position will manage processes for new employee orientation as well as employee transfers and terminations. The Human Resources Coordinator has considerable latitude for independent judgment and initiative within established policies and procedures when determining work priorities. This employee handles confidential information when working with personnel records and will ensure the privacy of all protected information in compliance with federal and state laws.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serves as the supervisor for the HR Generalist and oversees all human resource functions;
- Oversees employee recruitment and selection; creates an employment advertising strategy;
- Attends job fairs, career days, and recruitment activities for various departments to help foster relations with local high schools, technical colleges and universities for employee recruitment;
- Oversees and conducts new employee orientation and ensures that all required paperwork is completed; counsels employee on health insurance and makes sure proper paperwork and documentation is completed and submitted in a timely manner; provides information on employee benefits including PTO/Extended Leave, KPERS/KP&F, deferred compensation plans, AFLAC Cafeteria Plan, supplemental insurance plans, cancer plans, and other deductions the county offers, and enrolls employee in KPERS/KP&F;
- Keeps employees informed on health insurance information and assists employees with health insurance issues and makes sure proper forms are completed and submitted when changes occur that affect their insurance coverage;
- Maintains spreadsheets with employee pay and benefit information for various departments and auditors, Job Descriptions Manual for county departments, computerized and manual files of employee benefits, and maintains a records retention and disposition program;
- Completes market salary surveys relating to job descriptions, pay, and benefits to ensure Ellis County is providing competitive pay and benefits to employees;
- Oversees the employee performance appraisal system, annual open enrollment for health insurance, and employee recognition program;
- Assists with short and long-term goals for staff and employee professional development;
- Assists department heads and elected officials with employee discipline, terminations, and other personnel issues;
- Stays updated on changes in legal regulations and laws for employee health care coverage and assists with personnel policy development for compliance with regulatory standards;
- Works with Wage and Benefits committee to monitor needed benefits changes to help ensure a competitive benefit package;
- Participate on various county committees;
- Attends training and conferences on human resource functions to ensure Ellis County is up to date on personnel matters, policies, and practices;
- Occasionally attend county commission meetings;
- Maintains county website for the County Administrators office and the County Commissioners;
- Assists department heads and elected officials with the off-boarding process of conducting exit interviews, confirming final pay, and verifies the return of county property;
- Create and develop quarterly employee newsletters; and
- Other related duties as deemed necessary or as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or a closely related field is preferred.
- PHR or SHRM certification preferred.
- Three years’ experience and knowledge on employee recruitment and retention practices, compensation, and various benefit programs.
- Demonstrated thorough knowledge of state and federal labor laws and regulations.
- Regular attendance is required. Monday – Friday 8 am to 5 pm.
- Working for Ellis County provides an opportunity to do meaningful work in a stable environment. Careers in local government allow you to impact your community in a BIG way!
- Employer sponsored health and dental insurance + vision plan offerings, employer sponsored life insurance, KPERS retirement-disability-life insurance, voluntary deferred compensation plan with employer contributions, 10 paid holidays, longevity bonus and service recognition, and other supplemental plan offerings.
- Flexible paid time off (starting at 168 hours accrued your first year) and employee assistance plan for work/life support.
- Supportive team environment, training and development offerings, and tuition assistance for approved courses/certifications to assist with career advancement goals.
How to Apply: Ellis County is an EOE. View the expanded job description and submit your Ellis County application online. Ellis County Paper applications may also be delivered or mailed to Ellis County KS Administrative Center, C/O Human Resources, 718 Main Street, Hays, KS 67601
About Ellis County
"Ellis County: Let us serve you." As Ellis County employees, we provide a variety of public services to our community. The home of over 28,000 residents with a retail trade area of over 75,000, Ellis County features an economic blend of higher education, manufacturing, healthcare, agriculture, oil production, tourism, and is a retail hub for Northwest Kansas. Ellis County is located on I-70 roughly halfway between Kansas City and Denver.
Find your fit in one of our many departments: Administration, Appraiser, Attorney, Building and Grounds, Clerk, EMS, Environmental, Fire/Emergency Management, Health, Information Technology, Landfill, Noxious Weed, Public Works, Register of Deeds, Sheriff, and Treasury!