|Career Status:||Actively looking|
|Willing to relocate:|
|Willingness to travel:||Fairly willing to travel|
Attorney/Legal Advisor – licensed to practice in KS, CO, & MO with over 20 years experience. Wish to return to western Kansas for better quality of life!
- Collaborative team building,
- Public Speaking,
- Strategic planning
- Highly innovative and motivated professional with over 20 years in government and public service, and extensive administrative, investigative, analytical, and managerial experience.
- Organized and detail oriented, with outstanding problem-solving skills, sharp aptitude for evaluating facts and evidence, and proven ability to strategically plan and manage multiple projects, meeting competing deadlines.
- Resourceful, collaborative, and energetic with impressive record of establishing strong working alliances with partner agencies and public interest groups.
- Exceptional communicator with superior proficiency in presentations and written reports, and ability to relate with individuals and customers at all levels and from diverse backgrounds.
- Committed to outstanding public and customer service, with demonstrated leadership of subordinate personnel in stressful situations while maintaining professionalism and composure.
- Proficient in wide variety of electronic programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, Outlook, Lotus, etc., and electronic case management databases.
Juris Doctor, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, KS
Bachelor of Arts, Bethany College, Lindsborg, KS
High School Diploma, Grinnell, KS
Bar Admissions: Kansas – October 1993; Missouri – April 1994; Colorado – April 1999
Continuing Legal Education: Exceed yearly requirements (minimum of 12 general and 2 ethic) mandated by the Supreme Courts of Kansas, Missouri, and Colorado
• Basic Civil Mediation Core Training (20 hr. course)
• “Phase I Practical Kinesic Interview and Interrogation” & “Phase II Advanced Kinesic Interrogation Techniques” (40 hr. course)
Director of Criminal Records, 16th Judicial Circuit Court, Kansas City, MO 08/2004 – Present
Direct operations of one of the largest departments in a major metropolitan court system, processing over 35,000 cases yearly. Advise Court Administrator, Legal Counsel, and Judges on criminal case management, with evaluation and interpretation of reports, statistics, case law, and statutes. Insure compliance with statutes and court rules related to receiving, processing and maintaining orders and commitments, summons and subpoenas, and collecting, accounting and disbursing moneys paid on criminal and traffic matters. Provide and implement strategic planning recommendations to achieve efficiency, increase productivity, and insure compliance with statutes and mandates. Develop, train, and supervise diverse workforce of 47, including administrative staff to upper level managers, in two locations. Team leader on multi-organizational projects, including development, implementation and evaluation of processes, memorandums of understanding and operating agreements for 4 groundbreaking criminal database interfaces. Build Department integrity; collaborate with government and partner agencies.
• Eliminated backlogs and significantly reduced error rates to achieve 95% decrease in false arrests; slashed records request processing from 180 days to 3-10 days; resolved 18-month assessment delay to recover over $200k in back revenue for a contracted partner agency.
• Led project team in developing and launching the first debt collection effort in a Missouri metro court, recovering over $800k in court ordered fines and costs in the first 4 years.
• Designed and implemented the Court’s first criminal electronic recordkeeping strategic plan; keynote speaker at 2 state conferences detailing the plan for 400 officials.
Small Business Owner, Castle Mountain Memories, Inc., Shawnee, KS
01/2001 – 06/2004
CEO and Legal Counsel of corporation, overseeing all corporate and retail store operations. Developed business plan and negotiated loans, lease and shipping contracts, wholesale accounts, and advertising agreements. Administered accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, point-of-sale and bankcard transactions. Established and fostered positive lender, creditor and vendor relationships, and hired and supervised 10 employees. Planned and implemented revenue generating and marketing strategies, designed sales promotions, customer database and newsletters. Conducted workshops, made presentations to community groups, and coordinated business participation and contribution in charitable events.
Assistant City Prosecutor, City of Lawrence, Lawrence, KS 01/1995 – 01/2001
Prepared and prosecuted municipal criminal and traffic cases and de novo appeals; interpreted and applied city code and state statutes in managing extremely high caseload. Participated in case negotiations, drafted and reviewed ordinances, policies, resolutions, diversion agreements, probation agreements, and arrest warrants. Lead prosecutor in animal control, and building and housing codes enforcement. Provided legal advice and interpretation to City Departments, City Manager, and Commission. Liaison between City Prosecutor’s office, Douglas County D.A., and partner agencies. Collaborated with partner agencies in outreach programs and established partnerships with emergency assistance and domestic violence centers to provide more victim resources. Represented victims of housing discrimination, counseled on Fair Housing and Civil Rights laws, negotiated settlement agreements, and assisted in civil complaints for violations. Facilitated and fostered strong working alliances between building inspectors, Police Department, and the District Attorney’s office. Utilized excellent oral communication skills in lectures and presentations to university and public groups on topics of criminal law and municipal enforcement.
• At my initiative, we expanded prosecution efforts into overlooked areas of fire, building, housing, environmental, and zoning enforcement, and vigorously prosecuted cases of animal abuse and neglect.
• Developed efficient case management system which significantly improved charging processes, bringing quicker responses to victim/witness concerns, and requests for assistance from officers, departments, and local, state, and federal agencies.
Ecological Specialist, Kansas State Board of Agriculture, Topeka, KS 08/ 1993 – 01/1995
Enforced agricultural and environmental statutes and regulations, and coordinated and evaluated investigative casework. Conferred with technical staff and collaborated with local, state and federal agencies in development of public service pesticide awareness programs. Prepared case summaries, legal opinions, and civil complaints, and participated in case negotiations, pre-hearing conferences, administrative and judicial hearings, and related enforcement proceedings. Trained and assisted agents in investigations of pesticide and environmental complaints.
Municipal Judge Pro tem, City of Silver Lake, Silver Lake, KS 02/1994 – 01/1995
Served in absence of appointed Judge and provided legal interpretation and advice to local law enforcement.
Prosecutor Intern, Shawnee County District Attorney, Topeka, KS 09/1992 – 04/1993
Prosecuted misdemeanor and traffic cases, researched and prepared motions, oral arguments, discovery and response memoranda, and assisted in preparation of felony cases. Liaised with Public Defender’s Office, Legal Aid Clinic, and advocacy groups on development of victim crisis network, and offender rehabilitation and outreach opportunities. Interviewed victims and witnesses, prepared victim impact statements, and assisted victims in navigating the complex criminal justice system.
299 total views, 1 today